Thursday, May 6, 2010

Real Budget Wedding: Sharon Boone & Darren Wright

Happy Thursday Budget Brides!!
A couple of weeks ago I went to the New York Magazine bridal show. I was able to score a New York Magazine Weddings Issue Summer 2010 which is an amazing resource especially if you live in New York. Take a look at the Real Wedding below featuring Sharon & Darren.



The Couple
Sharon Boone & Darren Wright

Wedding Date: October 16, 2009

Location: The W Hotel, Hoboken (Ceremony) & Amanda's Restaurant, Hoboken


The Goal
A tiny cocktail party with a Rat Pack-y feel.


The Dress
Sharon bought her dress from Dolly Couture, a site that specializes in fifties-inspired styles. I customized the design online - short with a drop waist - and gave my measurements. They sent a sample of the fabric. It was $520. Darren got a very nice charcoal suit at a department store in England for the equivalent of $300.


The Venue
The most important aspect was a view of New York. At the last minute, our guest list doubled from 12 to 24, because my extended family decided to come. We had the WOW suite at the W. The usual rate is $2,500 per night; I asked for a discount and got it for $1,000. The hotel provided glasses, napkins and extra chairs; I brought in loads of tea lights.


The Food & Liquor
I supplied the wine and Champagne; I'd been collecting bottles all year. My parents bought crackers in bulk at Costco, and I went to the Garden of Eden for fruit and cheese. After drinks, everyone went to Amanda's for dinner. We got a cozy private room and had a great menu for $40 per person, and they let us bring our own cake. Ours cost $75 dollars; the bakery (Giorgio's in Hoboken) delivered it to the restaurant.


The Flowers
Flowers were not a big deal to us. I had a bouquet, Darren had a boutonniere, and we got corsages for our moms. We kept it local and got everything at Beethoven's Veranda in Hoboken for $350.


The Photographer
Our photographer was Kat Bryant. She was just starting out doing weddings, so she gave us a great rate of $500. But we didn't have her stick around for the reception.


Where Else They Saved
Forgoing the officiant was our biggest saver; they charge at least $400. They all said, "But we get to know you!" I thought, I am paying you to become my friend? So we had a friend get ordained online. We hosted on a Friday night. And we had no paper - programs, etc. - or D.J.; I just filled up my IPod.


Budget Breakdown
Original Budget $3000
Wedding Attire: $820
Venue: $1,000
Food & Drink: $1,115
Flowers: $350
Photographer: $500
Actually Spent $5,000



Do you have a wedding that you pulled off on a budget? Email us at realweddings@thebudgetbrideshandbook.



Article Found in the Summer 2010 issue of New York Magazine Weddings Pg. 108 or here



Photobucket

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails